DATE: August 11,1951
FROM: GENERAL OWEN SOMMERS, US ARMY SPECIAL
TO: ALL MILITARY FORCES
GENERAL ORDER: 417
The following orders apply to all executive level escape
routes regardless of whether they utilize specially
constructed tunnels, subways, city sewers of other
passageways. The location and management of all such
routes is classified secret--and shall remain so until
Any unauthorized personnel be they military or civilian
found in around such routes will be shot on sight.
Specifically sentries will:
1. Take charge of escape routes and all government
property in view.
2. Walk their posts in a military manner, keeping
always on the alert, and observing everything that
takes place within sight or hearing.
3. To quit their post only when properly relieved.
4. To receive, obey, and pass on to the sentry who
relieves them all orders from the Commanding Officer,
Officer of the Day, and officers, and non-commissioned
officers of the guard only.
5. To talk to no one except in the line of duty.
6. To give the alarm in case of fire or disorder.
7. To call the corporal of the guard in any case not
covered by instructions.
8. To kill any all intruders not authorized to enter, pass
through, or be in the vicinity of that escape route.