The Mutator is a improvised weapon in Resistance 3 which harnesses an infectious biological agent. It was created by Herbert Sawicki and designed to fire a weaponized strain of the Chimeran Virus extracted from rampant feral Leeches, so the Mutator won't work against them. The Mutator's primary fire shoots a globule causing bulbous cysts to appear on the enemy and mutating the enemy into a combustible land mine. Charging the Mutator causes faster infection of the victim. The secondary fire unleashes a diseased mist that disorients and infects large groups of enemies caught inside.
It is given by Herbert to Joseph Capelli in their attempt to escape Gratersford Prison.
- Puppet Master - Transforms enemies into living bombs that target other enemies.
- Fog of Death - Releases a larger cloud of infectious fluid that inflicts more damage over a larger amount of time.
- Upgraded Mutator Level 2 is a most effective weapon that turn enemies (expect leeches) into living-seeker bombs that move towards multiple targets
A biological projectile weapon that infects enemies with a modified strain of the Chimeran Virus. Overexposure causes a painful and violent death.
Press and hold R2 to charge up the weapon. Fires infectious biological projectiles.
become incapacitated until the cloud disperses.
- The Mutator is made out of many scrap parts including a gas pump handle, a shotgun barrel, scrap metal, tape and a Chimeran canister.
- Unlike many weapons in the Resistance series, Herbert made only one Mutator, meaning there is only one in existence (unless multiple players in Multiplayer chooses the same gun), making the Mutator a rare weapon.
- The Mutator was originally called the Plague Thrower.
- A chemicals-based weapon was originally planned for Resistance: Fall of Man but did not make the cut; some of its design elements like the handle are recycled in the Mutator.
- Since the Mutator can produce some damage on enemies, it is possible to kill or finish Leeches with Mutator shots.