|Games featured||Resistance 2|
The Kraken is a Chimeran strain that first appears in Resistance 2. The Kraken is a large aquatic creature with four tentacles, each tipped with mechanical drills that can split into claws.
- "Seal the shutters! Now! It's a Kraken!"
- ―Major Blake in San Fransisco base, moments before a Kraken breaches the security perimeter[src]
The Kraken appears in San Francisco, where it attacks SRPA III. One SRPA personnel reference to it as "a Kraken" gives reason to believe that there are others. The Kraken acts in breaching the base in an attempt to flood it. It encounters Nathan Hale before being driven away by a Pulse Cannon before finally confronting him during his escape from the base, in which he fought it from the water's surface on a VTOL landing pad. The Kraken attacked using its tentacles and rammed the platform Hale was on, attempting to swallow him, while it would also dive underwater to evade his attacks. Hale endured its attacks and killed it with a Pulse Cannon when it attempted to swallow him.
Joseph Capelli and Fyodor Malikov encountered a deceased Kraken in Wrightsburg, Missouri. Malikov theorized that the creature may have lost its way from deeper waters from swimming up the Mississippi River before dying from unknown circumstances, in which it had been left with a disemboweled midsection. It is possible that as it swam into shallow waters, it beached itself, which would then have made itself vulnerable to whatever creature(s) that had killed it.
- The name Kraken is related to the mythical giant squid-like creature in Norse Mythology that was believed to terrorize and sink ships on the high seas.
- The Kraken was going to be in Resistance: Fall of Man but was removed for unknown reasons.
- The hints mention that the Pulse Cannon is very useful against Krakens, which reccomends that they will be faced more then once throught the game. Only a single Kraken is faced throughout the entirety of the game.
- The deceased Kraken that appears in Resistance 3 is much larger than the one that appears in Resistance 2, which could, or may not, indicate that the Kraken strain may be created in varying sizes.
Resistance: Burning SkiesEdit
- Though it never physically appear in Burning Skies, there are several photographs of the Kraken and all the other photograph of Fury and Leviathan were shown in the newspapers found in the Richard Gorrell's office in Ellis Island with words "DIFFERENT RACES?" before Ellie Martinez and Tom Riley retrieve the film and escape from SRPA Station Kali.