Insomniac Games was founded in the year 1994 and developed the first-person shooter Disruptor for the Playstation, which was released in 1996. Soon afterward, Insomniac began developing games for Sony Computer Entertainment.
Spyro the DragonEdit
In the year 1998, Insomniac Games developed and released their next game, Spyro the Dragon featuring a purple dragon named Spyro. The game was wildly popular in the year of its release and, in 1999, received a sequel, Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage. The game was now officially a series. The third video game of the Spyro series, Spyro: Year of the Dragon was released in 2000 and was the last Spyro game developed by Insomniac. After Spyro, they next moved on to the Playstation 2 and began development on a new game
Ratchet & ClankEdit
In 2002, Insomniac released Ratchet & Clank, which was a smash hit both critically and commercially. It featured a Lombax named Ratchet and a robot named Clank who defend their galaxy from those who wish to dominate it. Several sequels followed on the PS2, including Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando in 2003, Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal in 2004, and Ratchet: Deadlocked in 2005.
In the year 2007, Ratchet and Clank made their debut on Playstation 3 with Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction, which was the first installment in the "Future trilogy." Later, the second and third parts of the trilogy were released as Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty in 2008, and Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time in 2009. An epilogue of the Future saga, Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus, was released in late 2013.
In addition to the Ratchet & Clank Future trilogy, Insomniac also developed the Resistance series. It began with Resistance: Fall of Man in 2006, which was a success and led to two more Insomniac-made games in the form of Resistance 2 in 2008, and Resistance 3 in 2011.
The series takes place in an alternate history around the year 1950, in which an alien civilization known as the Chimera have invaded and conquered Earth, expanding their armies by capturing humans and transforming them into monster-like supersoldiers to fight for them. The player takes the role of one of the remaining human armed forces as they fight against the Chimera invasion (Sergeant/Lieutenant Nathan Hale in Resistance 1 and 2, and Private Joseph Capelli in Resistance 3).
In 2012, Insomniac released Outernauts for Facebook. It is a social role-playing game in which players must explore alien planets to capture and nurture creatures with which to do battle. Player actions are limited by "energy", an in-game resource that accumulates over time, but which can also be purchased with real-world currency.
In 2013, Insomniac released Fuse, a four-player co-op action game (originally known as Overstrike). The game is set in the near future and follows a team of four misfit agents collectively known as Overstrike 9, whose mission is to stop the evil Raven Corporation from gaining an alien substance called Fuse. The members of Overstrike 9 are Dalton Brooks (voiced by Brian Bloom), a reformed and sarcastic mercenary, Naya Deveraux (voiced by Jennifer Hale), who worked for Raven with her dad, Isabelle "Izzy" Sinclair (voiced by Ali Hillis), a gifted, but rebellious young scientist, and Jacob Kimble (voiced by Khary Payton), a decorated detective with a bit of a temper.
In 2014, Insomniac Games released Sunset Overdrive, an open world shooter video game. The overall concept is described as such: a recent catastrophe in the player-character's city has killed or turned most of its people into mutants. The player has to "figure out how to deal with" the mutants. The game is set in the near future.
- Disruptor (PS, 1996)
- Spyro the Dragon series
- Spyro the Dragon (PS, 1998)
- Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage! (PS, 1999)
- Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon (PS, 2000)
- Ratchet & Clank series
- Ratchet & Clank (PS2, 2002)
- Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (PS2, 2003)
- Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal (PS2, 2004)
- Ratchet: Deadlocked (PS2, 2005)
- Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3, 2007)
- Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty (PS3, 2008)
- Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time (PS3, 2009)
- Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One (PS3, 2011)
- Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault (PS3, 2012)
- Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus (PS3, 2013)
- Ratchet and Clank PS4 (2015)
- Resistance series
- Resistance: Fall of Man (PS3, 2006)
- Resistance 2 (PS3, 2008)
- Resistance 3 (PS3, 2011)
- Outernauts (Facebook, 2012)
- Fuse (PS3/Xbox 360, 2013)
- Sunset Overdrive (Xbox One, TBA)
- Insomniac Games have named their next gen star "Nathan" along with Naughty Dog; Nathan Hale in Resistance and Nathan Drake in Uncharted, this is iconic due to the fact that Insomniac and Naughty Dog have always been parallel. For example: Both have had a PS2 series which had three games, then it would have a game which was incredibly different from the first three, then there would be a PSP game made by High Impact Games, then there would be a PSP game starring the usual sidekick.