Insomniac was founded in 1994 as an independent video game developer and is now based in Burbank, California. Its initial game, a first-person shooter called Disruptor for the PlayStation, was released on November 20, 1996, and was a critical darling. Since then, the company has released seven more games in two series (both of which were created by the company) for the PlayStation and the PlayStation 2, and all have been both critical and commercial successes. After three Spyro games, the company went on to create the Ratchet & Clank series.
Resistance became one of their successful series. The games they make are exclusively available on consoles made by Sony such as the PS2, PSP and PS3. In their games they are well known for their sense of humor and their ability to think of innovating weaponry, the prime example being Ratchet & Clank. Anyone who has played the later releases in the R&C series will probably notice that some weapons work similarly to several weapons found in the Resistance franchise.
However, since January 2012. CEO Ted Price reported a sad message to the fans, stating that Insomniac Games won't be making anymore Resistance games for a couple of reasons. Ted Price stated the doesn't mean the franchise is dead, it moved on. Along with this message, all the pre-order bonuses were available for the playstation store. It is posible the future of Resistance will own by other Sony-owned companies.
- Disruptor - November 20, 1996
- Spyro the Dragon - September 10, 1998
- Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage - November 2, 1999
- Spyro: Year of the Dragon - October 11, 2000
- Ratchet & Clank - November 4, 2002
- Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando - November 11, 2003
- Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal - November 2, 2004
- Ratchet: Deadlocked - October 25, 2005
- Resistance: Fall of Man - November 17, 2006
- Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction - October 30, 2007
- Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty - August 21, 2008
- Resistance 2 - November 4, 2008
- Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time - October 27, 2009
- Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One - 2011
- Resistance 3 - September 6, 2011 (US)
- Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault - November 2012
- Outernauts - 2012
- Fuse - March 2013
- Insomniac Games have named their next gen star "Nathan" along with Naughty Dog; Nathan Hale in Resistance and Nathan Drake in Uncharted, this is iconic due to the fact that Insomniac and Naughty Dog have always been parallel. For example: Both have had a PS2 series which had three games, then it would have a game which was incredibly different from the first three, then there would be a PSP game made by High Impact Games, then there would be a PSP game starring the usual sidekick.